The roof of the building features a green roof; which also contains the exit to the centre, depositing its visitors to the Garrison Common. The neighbourhood will eventually house an estimated 6000 units within the area north of Lake Shore Boulevard, south of Fort York Boulevard between Strachan Avenue and Dan Leckie Way (an extension of Portland Street). The municipal government assumed ownership of the fort in 1909, although the Canadian military continued to make use of the fort until the end of the Second World War.  By the early 1830s, it had become apparent that new fortifications needed to be built to replace the decaying Fort York, with a plan formally approved in 1833. The exterior southern facade of the building is made of monolithic weathering steel panels, reflecting where the historical escarpment and shoreline of the lake would be in the early 19th century. 2 Bedrooms Den Sunny Terrace W/Panoramic Lake Views AVAIL! Garrison is an intimate 12-storey building located on the corner of Bathurst Street and Fort York Boulevard in Toronto’s up-and-coming Fort York neighbourhood. However, with the exception of Fort York, and New Fort York's officers' quarters, all of these structures were demolished by the mid-20th century.  The single-storey reconstruction is made up of four apartments, each containing four separate quarters connected by a central hall for three officers and a servant's room/kitchen. This is one of the few remnants of the fort that was attacked in 1813. Sites will range from The Bentway and Fort York, to an old abattoir and a Wellington Street salt-storage dome.  However, his proposals to further fortify the settlement was rejected by the governor general of the Canadas, Lord Dorchester, who took the position that the money should instead be spent on improving the defences at the naval base in Kingston.  In order to accommodate the military, Fort York Armoury was built in between Fort York and New Fort York in the 1930s. , Restored to its 1830s configuration, the brick officers' barrack holds two apartments for officers; with each apartment holding four living quarters for officers, and a kitchen/servant's room. While it is home to Fort York, a National Historic Site, it also contains several mid and high-rise condominium buildings built during the 21st century. The neighbourhood is one of Toronto's most historically and cultural sensitive areas, and was the location of the lakeside Toronto Molson brewery before it was demolished in 2006. Entry Area. , The grounds of the national historic site, including Garrison Common, the military cemeteries, and the parkland is accessible to the public year-round.  The property was formally transferred from the Department of Militia and Defence to the municipal government in 1909.  Conversely, New Fort York remained in use by the military until the end of the Second World War.  The officers' brick barracks also contains the city's "oldest kitchen," with a steep staircase in the kitchen pantry leading to the basement kitchen.  While its garrison was deployed in the Niagara, Fort York was manned by the Canadian militia. From our office to you and your family, a Happy Thanksgiving.  However, a number of these buildings were later demolished, including the carpenter's shop, the sappers' and miners' barracks, the soldiers barracks, and a cook house along the southern ramparts. Toronto was renamed 'York,' civilian settlement followed the government, and the settlement began to grow. Available Buildings.  Most of the original fort, in addition to the three blockhouses around the settlement were destroyed by American forces following the Battle of York.  After the fort was made an official military post, a stockade was built around the fort.  However, the condition of the fort was largely shaped by British foreign relations; with the fort suffering from poor maintenance during times of peace, and undergoing repairs and reinforcing during perceived signs of hostilities.  As Anglo-American tensions rose again in the beginning of the 19th century, Major-General Isaac Brock ordered the construction of three artillery batteries, and a wall and dry moat on the western boundary of the fort. , As with a number of other British-designed fortifications for the time, the fort's two blockhouses featured splinter-proof constructions, loopholes and portholes for small arms and small artillery pieces, and a second storey that overhangs off the first. The fort forms a part of Fort York National Historic Site, a 16.6-hectare-site (41-acre) that includes the fort, Garrison Common, military cemeteries, and a visitor centre.  The batteries were equipped with furnaces, allowing the batteries to fire heated shot, with further 12-pounder guns placed on mobile carriages used to respond to threats outside the fixed ranges of the batteries.  Over the next year, the Queen's Rangers erected a guard house, and two blockhouses near Gibraltar Point, albeit at a smaller scale than what was envisioned by Simcoe.